Predicting the future has always been a human preoccupation, arguably the most famous predictions are the supposed Mayan world-ending predictions and of course those of Nostradamus. From plagues to world shattering events, to two “brothers” falling, we’ve seen just about every one have their meanings analysed to fit the patterns we want to see.
Sooth-saying is one of the oldest professions in the world, taking advantage of people’s natural curiosity. Everybody wants to know what the future holds, be it on an individual or global scale. If the world is going to end, you want to make sure that you get the most out of the time you have left; after all, no point saving for a rainy day that is doomed to never come right?
So from soothsayers of old, we move on to soothsayers of new, or less-old – the movies. Many movies have made outlandish predictions about the future, filmmakers presuming that this or that technology will be invented, or this or that disaster will happen and that humanity will be forever changed as a result – usually for the worse. Of course, these films are not saying that these events will definitely occur, they are merely suggesting what could be. Sadly, some films films shot wide of their mark.
Let’s have a look at a few, shall we?
10. Back To The Future – Hover Boards
Well, we can’t say that this has quite been disproved yet, but the concept would be hard pushed to come to fruition in the next two years, so it is a safe bet to say that we won’t all be riding around on hover boards in 2015 as this film dared to suggest. Hovercraft technology exists of course, but requires much more power than can be delivered from a tiny board. There are no doubt faithful replicas that you can buy, but they are never getting off of the ground Marty McFly-style. How many dreams can one film crush? We all wanted a hover board; McFly and company told us we’d have to wait, so we waited! Where’s our hover board, McFly?
We are currently seeking Film contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a Film contributor, click here.
You Might Also Like...
- 10 Idiotic Decisions Made By Characters In Man of Steel
- 10 Totally Inept Movie Criminals
- Man Of Steel 2: 5 Most Likely Villains
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools