I’m certain that I’m not that only movie fan who was more than a little disappointed upon the release of Taken 2 a few months ago. Given that I am such an aficionado of the first film, I was only too pleased to welcome another in the series. That was until I actually watched it. Now, even months later, I’m still bothered at how much of a let-down the movie was. Thus, I have laid out five reasons why I think that the sequel left a lot of us dissatisfied and, to be blunt, marred our memories of the Taken franchise overall.
5. Lost the Plot
Well, to start with, if a movie doesn’t have absolutely airtight plot then no amount of chase scenes or fight sequences can truss it up. Although, in the first film, no-one really believes that a father (even one who is a secret agent) could actually track down his daughter, whose has been kidnapped by a international prostitution ring. But, just the fact that it is about a young girl who has been taken whilst on holiday is a semi-realistic plot and, unfortunately, has happened in the real world. I feel with these sort of films, as long as there is some semblance of realism, that the more fantastic elements are more enjoyable.
However, the same cannot be said for Taken 2, which is almost completely implausible. Most of all, the fact that the daughter of Bryan Mills, Kim (Maggie Grace), goes from traumatised, ex-kidnap victim to Bryan’s apprentice in-training in a hot minute. Talking to her kidnapped dad through his micro-phone (which he has had conveniently hidden on him the whole time) she manages to locate his, and Lenore’s, holding cell (Yeah, in the same city as well). This is achieved by her throwing grenades off a roof, and into random directions, so that Bryan can use his X-Men like abilities to tell HER where HE is. Okay, yeah sure! Granted it was an fun piece of poetic licence, but I just gave up hope completely when Bryan and Kim crashed into the US Embassy in a yellow taxi, without being shot or, at least, waterboarded.
We are currently seeking Film contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a Film contributor, click here.
You Might Also Like...
- Win Taken 2: Extended Harder Cut Blu-ray
- Avengers Most Overrated Movie Of 2012: Here Are 4 More Deserving Movies
- 5 Reasons Why Taken 2 is The Worst Sequel of 2012
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools