Brendon Connolly cites Flash Gordon, but honestly, all I can see when I look at the latest still from Kenneth Branagh’s Thor (Marvel, May) is the other camp 1980′s comic book spectacular Masters of the Universe.
The new image presumably is from The Hall of Asgard scene where Odin (Anthony Hopkins) bans Thor (Chris Hemworth) to Earth;
Now Gary Godard’s B-movie blockbuster, that is actually one of my favourite guilty pleasure movies;
Note the setting of Skeletor’s lair, the red cape/blonde hair of the two muscle-men heroes, the fact that Thor is asked to kneel (as He-Man does in front of Skeletor) and the gold look of Odin compared to Skeletor and the soldiers lined up like his warriors.
Here’s a closer look of Odin, next to the Golden Skeletor;
Comic Book Movie have done some scanning, and the image actually contains our first look at Loki’s Helmet;
And our first look at Hogun (Tadanobu Asano) and Fandral The Dashing (Joshua Dallas). Apparently you can also see Volstag’s (Ray Stevenson) foot on the earlier image.
Now we know that not only are the performances going to be overly dramatic as that grinning ‘hamming up’ Hopkins picture released last week hinted at – but so too are the sets!
Branagh is really going for it, he clearly has no fear of going big and theatrical. We’ll give him that, I guess, but we denounced this movie years ago – right about when Matt Vaughn was dumped.
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools