Just when we’d all kind of forgotten about this whole Star Wars third trilogy thing, LucasFilm go ahead and announce that, hey, they’ve found their director and, hey, it’s J.J. Abrams, the guy who’s just finished working on his second Star Trek movie. Positively bewildering, really, especially when you remember that it was Abrams who said this not long ago:
“I declined any involvement very early on. I’d rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.”
And according to a bunch of reports, LucasFilm were also seriously considering Ben Affleck as a potential man for the job. How… bizarre?
It’s welcomed news, of course, mainly because this “Who will direct Star Wars?” thing has felt like the longest and most speculative of cinematic guessing games, and one that became almost embarrassingly fickle at times. Nearly every director in Hollywood capable of doning a baseball cap and saying things out of their mouth was rumoured to be taking on the gig as Star Wars: Episode VII’s director: that included big names like Brad Bird and Steven Spielberg, and people you’d never heard of before like, um, that Colin Trevorrow guy.
Abrams’ name is sure to get the internet all fired up in a flurry of mixed opinions, given that this is the man who created Lost. And although Abrams’ cinematic endeavors have actually been pretty good by all accounts, he’s often been labelled a hack on a number of occassions, ’cause that’s what happens when you create Lost. So what does this announcement mean for the future of the Star Wars franchise? Here’s 10 things to expect from J.J. Abrams. May the force be with him!
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools