Oscar wining actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has secured a role in Catching Fire, the highly anticipated sequel to The Hunger Games.
Hoffman will play Plutarch Heavensbee, the Head Gamemaker responsible for devising the 75th Hunger Games. Heavensbee takes over as Head Gamemaker following the death of Seneca Crane, played by Wes Bentley. Crane was killed at the end of the first film by President Snow as punishment for allowing both Katniss and Peta to win the Hunger Games.
Fans of the books will already know that Heavensbee goes on to play a central role in the third book. The question is whether he will be a friend or foe of Katniss?
Hoffman is best known his Oscar winning portrayal of journalist Truman Capote in 2005. More recently he was seen on Broadway opposite Andrew Garfield in a revival of Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman, a role for which he received a Tony Award nomination.
Hoffman is the first of the new cast to be officially confirmed. However speculation has been rife over who will be cast in the role of the new tributes. Jena Malone (Sucker Punch) has reportedly been offered the part of Johanna Mason, the feisty tribute from District 7. While Taylor Kitsch, Armie Hammer and Garrett Hedlund have all been rumoured to be being considered for Finnick Odair, the charismatic District 4 tribute. However nothing has been confirmed.
Filming is due to start in September with Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth and Donald Sutherland all reprising their roles.
Water for Elephants director Francis Lawrence will be taking over following the departure of original Hunger Games director Gary Ross who refused to return for the squeal stating to Deadline, “I simply don’t have the time I need to write and prep the movie I would have wanted to make because of the fixed and tight production schedule”.
What do you think of the casting news? Pleased with Hoffman as Heavensbee? Who would you cast as Johnanna or Finnick?
Catching Fire is due to hit screens November 2013.
You Might Also Like...
- 5 Amazing Costumes We Adored From Recent Films
- 10 Truly Terrible Movies That Fanboys Insist Are Awesome
- 10 Reasons The Hunger Games Isn’t A Rip-Off Of Battle Royale
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools