Please Note: This is a sequel article to a previous What Culture classic written by Rob Beames. You should check that out article first before reading this one!
I don’t like the phrase “gamer”, because it reminds me of some dude calling himself a “musician” because he plays crappy Led Zeppelin covers in his bedroom. I also don’t like the phrase “Wouldn’t Understand” because it’s condescending and inaccurate. That being said, I think it’s important that the current generation of gamers understand the roots of the industry they’re giving millions of dollars to. Just like that guy playing guitar in his room, if you don’t make an effort to understand the history of the material, you’re doing a disservice to those who pioneered the craft. Here are ten trends in modern gaming that are problematic, flawed, and detrimental to the video game environment.
As a point of reference, I would like to mention that I was born in mid-1990, and my first memory of playing a video game involved beating goons over the head with trash cans in River City Ransom on an NES emulator in 1996.
- 10 Things Today’s Gamers Wouldn’t Understand
- 10 Outrageous Sexy Moments Hidden In Video Games
- GTA V: 12 Dirty Hidden Secrets And Easter Eggs You Probably Missed
- Xbox One vs PS4: Which Should You Buy?
- GTA V: 9 Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
- 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications
- 8 Crazy Video Game Fan Theories That Actually Improve Games
- 100 Greatest Video Game Villains Of All Time
This article was first posted on May 2, 2013