One of the beautiful things about video game development is the imagination and the creativity that is open to developers. Video game characters can be, do, or wear anything that their creator can come up with, however, sometimes these artistic visions don’t pan out as well as they may have in a writer’s head and it results in ridiculous looking characters that become running jokes and discussions of “what were they thinking?”
While some characters are visual badasses, others are the fashion embarrassments. Luckily, for the most part these gaffes don’t affect video game quality, as I love most of the games on this list.
Some of the choices on this list were made with a reason in mind and they executed their purpose, but that doesn’t mean it looked good. Before I present this list, let me first say that yes, all of these characters have likely been cosplayed at some point, but they shouldn’t have been.
10. Gym Leader Clay (Pokemon Black/White)
“Hey, how can we make a character that correlates with literally nothing else in the world we’ve created?”
The answer to that question is Gym Leader Clay, Pokemon Black/White’s 5th gym leader. Much of Black & White deals with the futuristic Unova region, so it’s a surprise when the player reaches straight-from-the-ranch Clay. There are signs that developers attempted to keep Clay within the setting and dynamics of the game (cell phone, watch, briefcase), but I’m not buying it.
In a world of avant-garde fashion and characters, Clay stands out like a sore thumb. From the chaps, oversized cowboy hat, and the mutton chops, it’s clear that Clay found his way into the wrong game.
We are currently seeking Film contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a Film contributor, click here.
- 10 Outrageous Sexy Moments Hidden In Video Games
- GTA V: 12 Dirty Hidden Secrets And Easter Eggs You Probably Missed
- GTA V: 10 Awesome Things To Do In San Andreas
- Xbox One vs PS4: Which Should You Buy?
- GTA V: 9 Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
- 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications
- 8 Crazy Video Game Fan Theories That Actually Improve Games
- 10 Things Today’s Gamers Wouldn’t Understand