There’s an endless variety when it comes to the videogame of today. While there’s truly something for everyone, purchasing power (the videogame equivalent to natural selection) determines which titles find a following and which ones go the way of the Dodo. For the moment, the most digestible genre is undoubtedly the first-person shooter.
They’ve always been popular, but within this console generation FPS titles have exploded into the juggernauts of the industry. New releases capture sales records and, like the Caesars of yore, enjoy a short-lived reign before the next in line emerges to seize power. A quick glance below at the current pre-order figures (source: VGchartz) indicates this trend is likely to continue for the foreseeable future.
So what happened in this generation to proliferate the FPS? What titles, specifically, ushered in this change and what effects have they carried throughout the industry? There’s really no right or wrong answer, but I think we can all agree that a few key titles did most of the heavy lifting.
Let’s stoke the fire a bit and take a look back at five of the most influential shooters introduced this generation. Click next to reveal the first big gun of the modern FPS genre…
- 10 Things Today’s Gamers Wouldn’t Understand
- 10 Outrageous Sexy Moments Hidden In Video Games
- GTA V: 12 Dirty Hidden Secrets And Easter Eggs You Probably Missed
- Xbox One vs PS4: Which Should You Buy?
- GTA V: 9 Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
- 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications
- 8 Crazy Video Game Fan Theories That Actually Improve Games
- 100 Greatest Video Game Villains Of All Time
This article was first posted on October 11, 2012