With the shiny next generation consoles Xbox One and PlayStation 4 coming out toward the end of the month, so marks the passing of another era for the Grand Theft Auto series.
There have been three canonical universes in the long-running Rockstar Games franchise, from the 2D universe introduced back in 1997 featuring top down graphics of Liberty City, through to the HD universe we all know today.
With the release of a new console comes the improvement in technology and, ergo, ability for developers to churn out more sophisticated video games.
The GTA series has come a long way, for example, since ‘Grand Theft Auto 1′, and one only needs to look at the above image to see that.
Starting on the original PlayStation, the GTA series began with the crude Grand Theft Auto 1, GTA London 1961, GTA London 1969 and finally Grand Theft Auto 2 before the PS2 era ushered in the groundbreaking, 3D GTA III.
In the so-called 3D universe, fans were also treated to such hits as GTA Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories, before the HD universe spawned the release of GTA IV and, recently, V.
And, with next generation machines looming on the horizon, we can’t help but wonder what lies in store for the franchise when Rockstar finally make their debut on the new consoles with an exciting fourth GTA universe.
To celebrate these possibilities, here, we take a look back on the series so far and bring to you 10 Iconic Moments That Defined Grand Theft Auto.
- 10 Outrageous Sexy Moments Hidden In Video Games
- GTA V: 12 Dirty Hidden Secrets And Easter Eggs You Probably Missed
- Xbox One vs PS4: Which Should You Buy?
- GTA V: 9 Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
- 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications
- 8 Crazy Video Game Fan Theories That Actually Improve Games
- 10 Things Today’s Gamers Wouldn’t Understand
- 100 Greatest Video Game Villains Of All Time
This article was first posted on November 9, 2013