1. Southampton Could Be This Year’s Blackpool
Plenty of attacking spirit, balls to the wall fight back and an inevitable defeat due to poor defending; the script of Southampton’s first game sounds very similar to a season long escapade by ex-Premier League heartthrobs Blackpool.
Whilst it’s early days and a statement that damns Southampton to final day relegation is a harsh one, it’s important the lessons be learned from a match they had the control of at one point.
Southampton were bold and aggressive, pushing the Champions to their limit and reaping two goals as a reward; however where that should have acted like a shock to the brain and pushed them in to discipline and a battle to maintain their lead, Southampton pushed on with disregard for shape and place; treating one of the most expensively assembled teams in World football like a team for the taking, which thus led to their undoing.
They will earn respect for their gung-ho attitude to taking on the Champions but the loss of shape and the continuing attack when a more defensive attitude was necessary is a cause for concern and will continue to be their undoing unless they can enforce some stable minds in to the side.
Southampton showed promise; but without calm it could be a whirlwind season which ends only in inevitable disappointment.
- 30 Sexiest WAGs Of 2012
- 50 Sexiest Women You’ve Probably Never Heard Of
- 10 Most Paused Movie Moments
- Football’s Worst Ever Cheating Divers
- 10 Great Footballers Who Made Terrible Managers
- 100 Greatest Premier League Players Of All Time
- 50 Great Footballers Who Ruled 2012
- 15 Worst Ever Premier League Signings