Our very own Simon Gallagher blogged about this last week but now we have visual proof of just what Mike Ashley is putting up on top of the famous East Stand of St. James’ Park. As expected then it’s the title brand logo for his company Sports Direct which is being written alongside the much loved Newcastle United letters so the budget sportswear chain can be visible every time the Toon are screened on television.
Thankfully Ashley has avoided putting the @ symbol before it because that would have just reminded us that he really wants the stadium to be known as Sports Direct @ St James’ Park.
If my memory serves two or three years ago Ashley was looking to sell the rights to the stadium for around £4 million a year but when he got no immediate takers he decided to make more prominence of the Sports Director logo around the ground so prospective buyers could get a look at the grand advertising they could get for their money. Though why any giant of business would want to be associated with anything to do with Mike Ashley at this point is another question altogether.
source – nufc.com
- 30 Sexiest WAGs Of 2012
- 50 Sexiest Women You’ve Probably Never Heard Of
- 10 Most Paused Movie Moments
- Football’s Worst Ever Cheating Divers
- 10 Great Footballers Who Made Terrible Managers
- 100 Greatest Premier League Players Of All Time
- 50 Great Footballers Who Ruled 2012
- 15 Worst Ever Premier League Signings