iPhone 5 Announcement Time & Expected Features
Apple rumoured to be revealing the new iPhone 5 features, iOS6, UK release date and price later today.
Strong rumour has it that Apple are set to announce the release date for the brand new iPhone 5, as well as the phone’s new features and price, as well as the arrival of iOS6 at 6pm GMT, or 10am San Francisco local time at a “special event” for journalists. The event will hopefully spell an end to persistent rumours regarding the brand new phone that have been around since the last days of the iPhone 4, and throughout the life of the comparatively disappointing follow-up the iPhone 4S, and will offer fans some concrete information regarding what is bound to be a huge seller for the technology giants.
Rumours of the reveal were compounded by the appearance of the invitation to the special event, which can be seen enough, with a mysterious shadowy 5 alongside a 12 that is presumed to apply to today’s date. That event will take place in San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and the key information is set to be revealed a little after the 10am local start time.
Fans hopefully won’t have too long to wait for the phone, as it is rumoured to be hitting shops on the 21st September around the world, for somewhere around the £500 mark for the 16GB set and anything up to £700 for the larger 64GB version.
So what can we expect from the new iPhone 5? Here’s some of the hotly-tipped new features:
- Size: larger and thinner set
- Screen: Possibly larger more in line with 4.2″ competitors, but closer to 3.99″ and stronger to deal with the cracking problems of the iPhone 4
- Screen Resolution: 640 x 1136
- Name: Apple said to be dropping the number suffix and rebranding in line with the “new iPad”, so we can possibly expect to hear about the “New iPhone.”
- Camera: Strong rumours of a brand new 3D camera.
- Operating System: Probably the brand new iOS6 which is expected to be launched alongside the new iPhone.
- Other Features: Finger print technology and a music streaming service built in.
- New charger? There’s a distinct possibility, though iPhone users will hope that battery life is dealt with as a greater priority.
- Other Info: Rumours and “leaks” have suggested the phone has a built-in pay-and-go chip built in for check-out swipe payment for items up to the value of £25.
Check back with WhatCulture for news of the grand unveiling of the new iPhone when it happens.