With not long at all to go until the UK’s biggest sporting event of the century opens its gates and the London 2012 Olympics begin in earnest, LEGO has launched a special edition range of Team GB Minifigures to celebrate the tournament. The exclusive and highly collectible range will only be available in the UK to commemorate this once in a lifetime event for the nation.
Following on from the 7 series of LEGO minifigures which have so far proved popular (look out for our own review of the 6th and 7th series), the figures will once more cost £1.99 each, and will be in stores from 1st July 2012 in John Lewis, among other high street retailers.
Here are all of the details of the nine minifigure series:
- Brawny Boxer - Punching his way to the top, this lean machine in blue is ready to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee for Team GB!
- The Stealth Swimmer - Like a fish in the water, the Stealth Swimmer is ready to torpedo through the water into to pole position
- Relay Runner - Sprinting to reach the winning line, could this give Team GB a relay team victory?
- Judo Fighter - Taking down her opponent’s one at a time, this mistress of martial arts knocks down anything in her way to grasp that gold medal.
- Tactical Tennis Player - First on the court in his gleaming whites, this tennis ace will knock the white socks off of any competition.
- Flexible Gymnast - Balance and co-ordination is the name of the game for this agile Olympic contender.
- Wondrous Weightlifter - Powerlifting his personal best, the crowd looks on as this burley guy weighs up his chances of going for gold.
- Horseback rider - Riding her way to the last hurdle, this athlete won’t be horsing around when it comes to winning!
- Agile Archer - Complete with bow in hand, let’s hope this little fella will be on target on the day!
They’re likely to be hugely collectible, especially for those who’ve fallen for the charms of the normal LEGO mini-figures series – so look out for them soon.