Injuries and pro-wrestling go hand in hand. Fortunately major injuries do not occur all that often compared to real sports, although there have been some pretty horrific examples throughout the history of the wrestling industry.
WhatCulture! looks back at some of the worst injuries to ever occur on live television and collectively let out a gigantic “OUCH!” as we relive those horrible moments.
5. Vince McMahon Tears Both Quads
Remember when Vince McMahon stormed to the ring at the WWE Royal Rumble in 2005 and couldn’t stand up? The crowd laughed as a bemused looking Vince sat against the ropes and barked orders at the referees. Well it turned out that as Vince climbed into the ring he somehow managed to tear not one but both of his quads, rendering him incapable of standing. A truly bizarre but painful injury that came from literally nowhere.
If you watch the video closely you can see the moment that Vince’s knees impact with the side of the ring apron.
4. Steve Austin Breaks His Neck
It’s amazing the kind of career Stone Cold Steve Austin’s had, and all with a surgically repaired neck as well.
Cast your minds back to Summerslam 1997 and Owen Hart’s attempts to deliver a modified piledriver on the challenger for his Intercontinental Championship goes horribly wrong. Austin is dropped clean on his head, compressing his neck in the process. Exactly who was to blame isn’t entirely clear as Austin’s head was too low down for the move to have ever been executed safely. Was this down to him being out of position or was it more to do with Owen not protecting his opponent? Either way Austin suffered temporary paralysis and a was out of action for several months.
Rather stupidly the referee allowed Austin to roll up Owen (unconvincingly we might add) and win the match. It just goes to show how scared wrestlers ar of losing their spot if they take time off.
Get all the latest WWE updates...Follow @WhatCultureWWE For The Latest Updates
- 10 Things WWE Wants You To Forget About The Ultimate Warrior
- WWE: 10 Things You Need To Know About New Divas Champion Paige
- Sting To WWE: 10 Ways To Book His Debut Now Undertaker Has Gone
- 10 Crazy Facts You Just Have To Accept Before You Can Enjoy Wrestling
- 10 Wrestlers You Never Knew Were Dead
- 10 Things WWE Wants You To Forget About CM Punk
- WWE: 20 Loudest Chants And Reactions Ever
- 20 Most Horrifically Stupid Things That Ever Happened In WCW
This article was first posted on February 4, 2013