Win: Runaway Train Blu-ray
Arrow Video is pleased to announce the worldwide Blu-ray debut of Andrei Konchalovsky’s gripping thrill-ride RUNAWAY TRAIN on Monday July…
Arrow Video is pleased to announce the worldwide Blu-ray debut of Andrei Konchalovsky’s gripping thrill-ride RUNAWAY TRAIN on Monday July 22nd. We have three copies of the Blu-ray to give away to our readers.
Starring Academy Award and Golden Globe winner Jon Voight (Coming Home, Deliverance, The Rainmaker), Eric Roberts and Rebecca De Morney, this brand new dual format DVD & Blu-ray release of RUNAWAY TRAIN has been re-mastered in High Definition by MGM, following its 2010 premiere at the Cannes Film Festival (Classics Selection).
Finally available on Blu-ray for the very first time anywhere in the world, Arrow Video’s brand new deluxe edition of RUNAWAY TRAIN also includes a host of special features and bonus material, the first time any such items have been sourced to accompany the feature on a home video release.
Following its debut at the 1986 Cannes Film Festival, RUNAWAY TRAIN went on to be nominated for a total of three Academy Awards (Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Editing) and three Golden Globe Awards (Best Motion Picture – Drama, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor). To this day it remains as one of the all-time classic break-out movies.
Based on a script by the legendary Japanese director Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai), RUNAWAY TRAIN begins as two convicts break-out of Stonehaven Prison in the dead of winter, boarding a freight train with the intention of getting as far away as possible before their notoriously sadistic warden finds out.
Oscar “Manny” Manheim is a ruthless bank robber and hero to the convicts of Stonehaven. After two previous escape attempts the doors to Manny’s cell have been welded shut for three years. A court order see’s Manny released back into the general prison population, where he immediately sets his next escape plan into action.
Aided by fellow inmate Buck, who joins Manny’s break-out attempt at the last minute, the pair embark on a freezing cross-country hike (involving a 300 ft drop into a river and subsequent swim) until they reach a remote Alaskan rail yard and board a locomotive.
[click for hi res]
Upon leaving the rail yard, the locomotive’s brakes fail and the driver has a fatal heart attack, sending one hundred tons of metal hurtling through the snowy Alaskan wastes at a terrifying and seemingly unstoppable speed.
With hardboiled prison slang added by real-life ex-con Edward Bunker (Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs), this riveting thriller combines electrifying action with constant psychological tension. RUNAWAY TRAIN is one of cinema’s great thrill-rides.
A full list of the special features included on the Blu-ray & DVD dual format edition of RUNAWAY TRAIN is as follows:
– High Definition transfer of the film prepared by MGM for the Cannes Film Festival premiere.
– High Definition Blu-ray and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the film.
– Optional English SDH Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.
– Running on Empty – An Interview with director Andrei Konchalovsky.
– From Thespian to Fugitive – Star Jon Voight shares his memories of his Academy Award-nominated role.
– Sweet and Savage: Eric Roberts recalls his Academy Award-nominated performance.
– The Calm Before the Chaos – Co-star Kyle T. Heffner remembers Runaway Train.
– Trailer with commentary by Rod Lurie.
– Original Trailer.
– Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Michael Brooke, a new interview with Runaway Train’s Production Designer Stephen Marsh conducted by Calum Waddell and the original Life Magazine article that inspired the film, illustrated with rare behind-the-scenes production images.