Directed and co-written by two-time Academy Award winner Billy Wilder, THE LOST WEEKEND is to be released in the UK as part of Eureka’s MASTERS OF CINEMA Series on Blu-ray (Standard and SteelBook editions) on 25 June 2012.
We have three copies of the Blu-ray to give away to our readers.
Directed by Billy Wilder (Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, Some Like It Hot), this gut-wrenching adaptation of Charles Jackson’s The Lost Weekend horrified its studio, was rejected by test audiences, and was lobbied by temperance groups, yet went on to huge success and became the awards sensation of its year.
Ray Milland stars as Don Birnam, a New York author struggling with years of alcoholism and writer’s block. Trying to keep him on the path to rehabilitation are his straight-laced brother Wick (Philip Terry) and devoted long-time girlfriend Helen (Jane Wyman). When Don absconds from a country excursion, he embarks on a four-day binge, spiralling towards rock bottom.
Winner of the Grand Prix at the first ever Cannes Film Festival, as well as Oscars for Best Picture, Director, Actor, and Screenplay, this brutal noir provided one of cinema’s first in-depth studies of addiction. Crackling with rapier dialogue, vivid performances, and Wilder’s superlative direction, The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present The Lost Weekend for the first time anywhere in the world on Blu-ray. Released in the UK in a standard edition & limited edition SteelBook on 25 June 2012.
For your chance to win, first like us on Facebook… Already a fan? You can skip this part.
… and then email firstname.lastname@example.org with the e-mail header The Lost Weekend. Make sure you leave your full name and address and that you are over the age of 15. Winners will be picked at random and notified in August.
• New high-definition master, officially licensed from Universal Pictures
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
• Exclusive new video introduction by director Alex Cox
• The three-part 1992 BBC Arena programme Billy, How Did You Do It? directed by Gisela Grischow and Volker Schlöndorff, featuring Schlöndorff in conversation with Billy Wilder
• The 1946 Screen Guild Theater radio adaptation of The Lost Weekend – starring Ray Milland, Jane Wyman, and Frankie Faylen
• The original theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A 36-page booklet featuring rare archival imagery, and more!