If the shelves in the DVD and Blu-Ray aisles are anything to go by, you’d think that the British horror industry was in full bloom at the rate that new UK horror movies are being released each week. The problem is that very few of them are actually good and most are simply knock-offs of bigger-budgeted and more successful films.
Here, though, are some exceptions.
Staying away from some of the bigger box office successes of the last few years (like The Woman In Black, for example) and avoiding the straight-to-DVD sequel market, what follows is ten of the most underrated, little-seen and actually really rather great horror movies from the United Kingdom in the last ten years.
It pains me to give any coverage to a film featuring Danny Dyer but the fact that I’m doing so should go some way to indicating just how solid it actually is. Directed by Christopher Smith, who’s going to feature heavily in this list, the film carves its own three-act structure into three distinctly different parts that shouldn’t mesh well together but somehow do, although many a film critic is quick to suggest that one of Severance’s flaws is that it all comes undone by its final act. Up until that point though, you’re treated to a fitfully amusing dark comedy, an atmospheric and surprisingly tense conventional slasher flick and, finally, a balls-to-the-wall gory piece of absurdist nonsense involving war criminals, naked women, bear-traps and rocket-launchers.
We are currently seeking Film contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a Film contributor, click here.
You Might Also Like...
- Forgotten B&W Horror #12: Monster on the Campus
- 10 Reasons Why The Found Footage Film Genre Sucks
- 10 Awesome Horrors To Watch This Halloween
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools