Here’s a very early look at what Pete Travis has in mind for Dredd – the simply titled 3D reboot of the 2000AD comic that will star Karl Urban. The above still is from a rehearsal so take that for what you will but it’s a probably a good indicator of the costume Urban will be wearing.
Thanks to comic book artist Jock for tweeting it.
The 3D movie is shooting now in South Africa with the intention of it being closer to it’s gritty, edgier roots – over the ludicrous, mid 90′s Sylvester Stallone vehicle. Think John Carpenter’s Escape From New York (especially as there’s only a $45 million budget for this tentpole) or as we are told from a script review as ‘Die Hard taking place within the world of Blade Runner’.
Although I have huge reservations about director Pete Travis (Vantage Point) – he will be working from a script by a top tier sci-fi writer in Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Sunshine). Here’s the official synopsis;
“DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot – if necessary. The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Pete Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s revered comic strip.”
Lionsgate have yet to announce a definite release date but it’ll likely be 2012.
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools