We've heard him say it a million times in the past but Robert Rodriguez has once again claimed that the extremely long-gestating Sin City 2 will begin production this summer. The Austin filmmaker was speaking at the South by Southwest festival on Tuesday and was talkative but refused to confirm which of the large original cast would be returning. However he did reveal that he had held talks already with actors for Sin City 2 and also Machete Kills, adding that casting for both movies will be "of the same caliber and eclecticism" as their respective originals. Rodriguez says he will shoot Machete Kills, a sequel to his 2009 Grindhouse B-movie actioner in April, before moving on to Sin City 2 in the summer. This backs up Frank Miller's comments back in October that the Sin City sequel would finally get made this year. The Departed writer William Monahan was hired last year to finalise the Sin City 2 screenplay into something workable and Miller previously revealed their story approach as this;
Sin City number two is primarily an adaptation of the book A Dame to Kill For, Miller reiterated, then adding: It also features the short story, Just Another Saturday Night and two new stories. One involving Jessica Albas character, Nancy Callahan, that I came up with for the movie in order to tie things together and make it be more united with the first.
Back then Miller didnt confirm that Jessica Alba would reprise Nancy Callahan but with her recently appearing in Rodriguezs movies Spy Kids 4 and Machete, there seems little doubt shell be back at this stage. The character is vital to the interlocking and connecting stories coming together. She also appears in A Dame To Kill For, Millers most famous Sin City story not yet adapted and a prequel to the previous events, which would see Clive Owen (we think) return as Dwight and Mickey Rourke as Marv and obviously a titular dame is needed! At one point the idea was to cast Angelina Jolie in the role of Ava, the ultimate femme fatale and she would certainly tick our boxes for the part! Well we think Clive Owen will return as Dwight. He certainly played the character in the original but in the comics (and referred to in the film) he went through major facial reconstructive surgery which could suggest another actor playing the part. Either way, he is the lead of A Dame To Kill For. The characters Gail (Rosario Dawson), Miho (Devon Aoki) and Manute (Michael Clarke Duncan) also appear in that story and all those actors have always welcomed news of a sequel. Though one man who hasnt is Mickey Rourke who has said for years he had no interest in reprising Marv for a sequel but either Rodriguez/Miller are banking on him changing his mind or they are going to re-cast when the time comes? Especially as Just Another Saturday Night is a Marv-centric story that originally ran in Sin City #1/2 and runs in the same timeline as That Yellow Bastard, adapted in the original film. The other story has long been known as The Long Bad Night with Miller/Rodriguez saving To Hell and Back (where he wants to cast Johnny Depp and Antonio Banderas) for a proposed third movie somewhere down the road. Meanwhile Rodriguez says he still plans to make his CG animated Heavy Metal movie that is setup at his recently formed Quickdraw Animation. He is currently working on Heavy Metal and another family film that are in storyboard pre-production phases and says that he has worked out a way to churn out both films quickly, rather than the 3-4 years of most animated fare. He also mentioned that he is keeping the fantasy film's title underwraps for now because like "Spy Kids" it carries a title that gives away the whole concept of the movie. source - the hollywood reporter