I gave Lucio Fulci the hallowed God of Horror treatment and now it is time to give Herschell Gordon Lewis the Titan of Trash treatment. Herschell Gordon Lewis is a name that will conjure up many a smile on the face of trash fans. I first came across his films back in the 1980s when I was a child and I stayed up late. On Channel Four there was a show called The Incredibly Strange Film Show with Jonathan Ross interviewing Lewis about his work. They showed footage of The Wizard of Gore and I nearly crapped my pants (I was about 8/9 years old).
Over the years I found out more about The Godfather of Gore and his works and I fell in love with them – their shoddy direction, whacked out scores, 5th rate acting, outrageous gore and lunatic humour produce a heady brew which is infectious for lovers of cinematic garbage
Intellectuals get thee gone and cheese mongers take my hand, as we walk down the path of 7 H G Lewis films…
7. Colour Me Blood Red (1965)
Another Lewis gore fest and again more nonsense a go go. This time featuring a crazed artist who cannot find the proper shade of red he needs to paint with. Cue much throwing about of half finished pieces of work until he accidentally finds out that human blood is the perfect shade of red!
Of course, this brings in ample opportunity for murder and gore as the artist kills people to finish his paintings using their blood. Eventually though some clever people cotton on to his capers and his lunacy is stopped by a shotgun blast in the face.
If you are a hardcore horror film, forget about Colour Me Blood Red. It will not satisfy you. Go and watch Martyrs or Antichrist. Colour Me Blood Red is for those of us who love cheesiness in our direction and acting, diabolical dialogue, third rate gore – all of the elements that make classic Grindhouse Z grade movies.
Much laughter ahoy for H G Lewis enthusiasts!
We are currently seeking Film contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a Film contributor, click here.
You Might Also Like...
- Metal Gear Solid V: What We Learned From The E3 Trailer
- 10 Outrageously Hard Video Game Boss Battles
- 10 Horrendously Inaccurate Depictions Of Technology In Movies
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools