Those close to The Dark Knight Rises director Christopher Nolan have gone on record to say that there will be no director’s cut of his trilogy ender – despite the ongoing rumours started by Nuke The Fridge – according to The Playlist.
What Culture brought you the news a few days ago that an additional 30 minutes of footage were being prepared for an extended cut of the already 165 minute summer blockbuster, when it finally arrives on DVD and Blu-ray. In fact, we were one of the first sites to compile a list of the ideal scenes to be added to the movie to help maintain our interest in the epic conclusion to Bruce Wayne’s life story. Now though it seems there will be no enlightenment on Bane’s origin, no answers to the big questions and no more closeups of Selina Kyle’s gorgeous backside in those tight leather trousers. Sigh. According to The Playlist’s sources:”No such plans (for a director’s cut) exist, and reports of an extended cut of the film are completely false”.
The news shouldn’t come as too much of a shock for fans of Nolan’s work, given that the majority of his back catalogue of work has been released on DVD and or Blu-ray with minimal additional footage either as a special feature or as part of the film itself. In fact Nolan himself once told MTV:
I tend to try and weed things out on paper, because it’s crazy expensive to shoot things that aren’t going to be in the film, It also takes up a lot of time and energy. Pretty much with all my films, there are very few deleted scenes, which always disappoints the DVD crowd.
More fool us – the fans – then for hoping that he would finally buck that trend and deliver us something new when we part with our hard earned cash on release day.
Still, this is Hollywood we’re dealing with, and sometimes it isn’t down to the director as to what makes it onto a DVD. If Warner feel they can make more money by throwing in some extra scenes then you can be damn sure they will.
How do you feel about this whole issue? Do we need a near 4 hour cut or is The Dark Knight Rises as good as it’s ever going to be?
We are currently seeking The Dark Knight Rises contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a The Dark Knight Rises contributor, click here.
You Might Also Like...
- 8 Classic Trilogies That Almost Turned Out Completely Different
- 8 Movie Plot Holes That Could Have Been Solved With One Line Of Dialogue
- 5 Directors That Know How To Deliver A Blockbuster
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools