Yesterday IGN published an article in which Bryan Singer, director of the first two X-Men movies and the producer of X-Men: First Class, revealed some details over the follow up to the successful 2011 film staring James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender.
“It’s going to be very ambitious. It’s called Days of Future Past and it deals with aspects of that comic but also some very new things but I don’t want to give any of it away. Matthew Vaughan will be directing and I’m totally excited about it.”
Later on in the article, Singer states:
“I think there’s a strong desire to broaden out the universe. The X-Men universe is every bit on its own as big as the Marvel universe, and I think that it’s time to reach out and explore it and perhaps bring some connectivity between the films as Marvel has done so well. So, you may see some of that, I don’t know.”
These comments confirm rumours that the next movie in the series would be based on Future Past and potentially establish the First Class series as separate to the X-Men films that preceded them without marginalising the previous films, as has been hinted at by McAvoy in previous interviews. This marks the third time that a story penned by Claremont will be adapted to film, with X-Men 2 using elements from 1982′s God Loves, Man Kills and The Last Stand being partly based on 1980′s The Dark Phoenix Saga.
So what does this mean for the movie? Perhaps the question to consider instead is what does this mean for the X-Men film franchise as a whole? Potentially, this could rewind, unravel or even jetison out of existence minor or major parts of the five previous X-Men movies.
Click “next” below to predict what could be in store…
You Might Also Like...
- The Avengers 2: Aaron Taylor-Johnson To Play Quicksilver?
- Magneto Rises In X-Men: Days Of Future Past Photo!
- Why X-Men: Days Of Future Past Needs Jean Grey
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools