9. You’re The Bad Guy – Crackdown
Much like Call of Duty, Crackdown manages to sneak a fiendish plot twist upon the viewer because of our expectations of the game from the outset; it’s pitched as a relatively simple shooter with modest ambitions and no intellectual pretensions whatsoever. You simply run around a city blowing s**t up, and it’s a fun game, right until the very end where the story takes a cruel, shocking and surprisingly impressive twist, as our actions throughout the game are presented from a different perspective, informing us of the horrifying truth.
Throughout the game, it is presumed that you’re just working for a regular, boring police force, but at the end it is revealed that you’ve been part of a force that has in effect been implementing a police state not unlike the sort that George Orwell warned us of in 1984. It’s one of those brilliant twists that exploits player familiarity with the tropes of the genre and our expectations of what this type of game should provide; very clever indeed.
We are currently seeking Gaming contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a Gaming contributor, click here.
- 10 Outrageous Sexy Moments Hidden In Video Games
- GTA V: 12 Dirty Hidden Secrets And Easter Eggs You Probably Missed
- GTA V: 10 Awesome Things To Do In San Andreas
- Xbox One vs PS4: Which Should You Buy?
- GTA V: 9 Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
- 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications
- 8 Crazy Video Game Fan Theories That Actually Improve Games
- 10 Things Today’s Gamers Wouldn’t Understand