Although I wouldn’t class myself as much of a gamer (generally only playing sports games), I seem to have recently developed an unhealthy obsession with the GTA franchise, and more specifically, the GTA III era. As I was too young to appreciate them when they first came out (I probably shouldn’t have been playing them at all, but oh well), I recently blew the dust of these classic set of games, to see if they stood the test of time. I was not disappointed.
Each one has its merits, and there isn’t a title that I believe didn’t achieve something, but above the rest, came the 2004 San Andreas. Such was my infatuation with this PS2 classic, that I have completed it 3 times in the last 18 months, and recently started a new saved game. There’s just something about it, something special, and with the critical acclaim it received in 2004, San Andreas is still worth digging out of your loft or from under your bed. This article will provide 5 reasons why you should re-play the fantastic 2004 IGN PS2 game of the year, so in no particular order, here are my 5 reasons…
5. It’s The Highest Selling PS2 Game Of All Time
12 million PS2 sales in the first 6 months can’t be wrong, and on all platforms as of 2011, San Andreas had clocked up a monumental 27.5 million sales, holding it in high regard as the 3rd biggest selling game of all time. Now I’m always the first person to say things like ‘just because it’s popular doesn’t mean it’s good,’ but in this case, it really is.
San Andreas was not only popular, it gained critical acclaim, collecting various awards and gaining 9.9 and 9.6 reviews from IGN and GameSpot respectively, showing that the popularity was justified and not just hype.
We are currently seeking GTA V contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a GTA V contributor, click here.
- 10 Outrageous Sexy Moments Hidden In Video Games
- GTA V: 12 Dirty Hidden Secrets And Easter Eggs You Probably Missed
- GTA V: 10 Awesome Things To Do In San Andreas
- Xbox One vs PS4: Which Should You Buy?
- GTA V: 9 Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
- 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications
- 8 Crazy Video Game Fan Theories That Actually Improve Games
- 10 Things Today’s Gamers Wouldn’t Understand