Developer Digital Extremes and Namco have given out more details on the upcoming Star Trek video game, based on the JJ Abrams reboot.
At the Global Gamers Day event in Las Vegas, Namco showed a short demo of the co-op third person shooter which will have a unique storyline that bridges the gap between Star Trek 2009 and next year’s hotly anticipated sequel.
The game is penned by Marianne Krawczyk who previously wrote the critically acclaimed God Of War for the Playstation. Star Trek scriptwriters and producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are also collaborating on the game so it should fit seamlessly in the new rebooted timeline.
Not much in the way of specifics in known at this stage but it appears that each character has specific weapons that level up through the game and the Tricorder is a big in-game element.
People who saw the preview are reporting that they saw Spock using something called a “Combat Mind Meld” which allowed Spock to control an enemy to fight for him. That will either fill Star Trek purists with dread or Digital Extremes will be applauded for introducing new elements.
Namco are set to release more details at this year’s E3 and the game is set for release in the first quarter of 2013.
Star Trek games are a rarity these days and when they are released, they don’t always get the best reviews. So it should be interesting to see how this one fares especially as there is more mainstream interest in Star Trek since the successful movie from 2009.
A demo preview video will be released on April 17th. In the meantime, check out the screenshots below.
- 10 Outrageous Sexy Moments Hidden In Video Games
- GTA V: 12 Dirty Hidden Secrets And Easter Eggs You Probably Missed
- GTA V: 10 Awesome Things To Do In San Andreas
- Xbox One vs PS4: Which Should You Buy?
- GTA V: 9 Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
- 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications
- 8 Crazy Video Game Fan Theories That Actually Improve Games
- 10 Things Today’s Gamers Wouldn’t Understand