Arsenal head into this clash against their Midlands opponents off a wonderful victory over rivals Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and a solid display against Marseille on home soil in the Champions League midweek. Current Premier League top scorer Robin van Persie will be the dangerman for the Gunners this afternoon as he already has ten goals this season, including a hat-trick against Chelsea last weekend. Arsenal have won eight out of their last nine matches in all competitions and are improving at home. They will be favourties to win this one against the Baggies.
Albion actually picked up a shock result against Arsene Wenger’s side last term as they left The Emirates with a 3-2 victory under their belt. Goals from Peter Odemwingie, Gonzalo Jara and Jerome Thomas, a former Arsenal player, sealed the win for the Throstles. This shows West Brom are no pushovers and can beat the very best on their day. Albion earnt back to back wins before they lost to Liverpool 2-0 last weekend at the Hawthorns. Hodgson’s men will be looking to forget that result against Liverpool quickly and focus on the game tomorrow.
Key men – Robin Van Persie
The Dutchman is in tremendous form of late and will be a real handful for the Albion backline. Van Persie has ten goals already and was rested in the midweek match against Marseille, signalling that he will probably start. He’s formed a great relationship with Gervinho and this is sure to cause the visitors lots of problems.
Key man – Somen Tchoyi
The Cameroon international will be the key man for Roy Hodgson’s side tomorrow afternoon as other strikers Long and Odemwingie are out with injuries repsectively. Tchoyi will have to hold the ball up well, even more so if Albion play a 451 system, create chances and use his pace and power to hurt Mertesacker & Co. He’s yet to score in the Premiership this season, tomorrow’s game could be his day.
Arsenal Team News
- Arsenal striker Robin van Persie will return to the starting line-up after beginning on the bench in midweek.
- Laurent Koscielny may also reclaim his place after being rested against Marseille.
- Kieran Gibbs and Marouane Chamakh remain sidelined.
West Brom Team News
- West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie is a doubt after hurting his knee in training this week.
- Paul Scharner suffered knee ligament damage against Liverpool last Saturday and is ruled out.
- Other forward Shane Long is still out with the injury he picked up against Aston Villa.
- Somen Tchoyi and Simon Cox are set to replace the two frontmen.
Nathan’s prediction: Arsenal 1-1 West Brom.
- 30 Sexiest WAGs Of 2012
- 50 Sexiest Women You’ve Probably Never Heard Of
- 10 Most Paused Movie Moments
- Football’s Worst Ever Cheating Divers
- 10 Great Footballers Who Made Terrible Managers
- 100 Greatest Premier League Players Of All Time
- 50 Great Footballers Who Ruled 2012
- 15 Worst Ever Premier League Signings