Kick Off : Tonight @ 7.45 pm (Tuesday 4th of December 2012)
Having secured qualification to the knockout stages of the tournament, Arsenal face Olympiakos in Greece tonight in a game where neither side is subject to particularly heavy expectations. While the top spot in group B is still to be decided, the Greek team have already secured their place in the Europa league and are bound to exit the Champions League no matter what the result.
However, Arsenal could still go through as the seeded side, should Schalke taste defeat at Montpellier. The Gunners are currently 2nd in Group B with a total of 12 points from their last 5 games.
Manager Arsène Wenger does not seem overly stressed, as the decision to rest some of the senior players suggests.
Theo Walcott, Lukas Podolski, Jack Wilshere, Santi Cazorla, Mikel Arteta and Per Mertesacker have all been rested for the weekend game against West Brom, and judging the Gunner’s weekend defeat against Swansea, Arsène Wenger seems to want his squad fit and rested.
Probable Line Up: Arsenal -
Szczesny – Coquelin – Vermaelen – Squillaci – Meade – Ramsey – Rosicky – Akporn – Arshavin – Chamberlain – Gervinho
Probable Line Up: Olympiakos -
Olympiakos – Carroll – Torosidis – Modesto – Maniatis – Holebas – Machado, Fuster – Abdoun – Ibagaza – Mitroglu – Djebbour
Arsenal v Olympiakos Previous Encounters:
- 03/10/12 – Champions League – Arsenal 3 – 1 Olympiakos
- 06/12/11 – Champions League – Olympiakos 3 – 1 Arsenal
- 29/09/11 – Champions League – Arsenal 2 – 1 Olympiakos
- 09/12/09 – Champions League – Olympiakos 1 – 0 Arsenal
- 30-09/09 – Champions League – Arsenal 2 – 0 Olympiakos
Prediction: 1 – 0 (Olympiakos to win in what might not be the most appealing of games to football fans)
Having been dominated throughout time by Arsenal, Olympiakos would seem like the underdog, however, with the squad Arsène Wenger is taking to Greece, along with the current morale and form of the Gunners, it might be fair to consider Olympiakos as potential winners – even if only by a thin margin.
We are currently seeking Arsenal contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a Arsenal contributor, click here.
- 30 Sexiest WAGs (Pictures)
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 10 Most Paused Movie Moments
- Football’s Worst Ever Cheating Divers
- 15 Worst Ever Premier League Signings
- 30 Sexiest WAGs Of 2012
- 10 Best Football Stadiums In The World
- 100 Greatest Premier League Players Of All Time