For me, Looper was one of those films that had me by the stones from the second I saw the trailer. I couldn’t wait to get my bum in a theatre seat for a healthy and much needed fix of sci-fi action. And when the first round of reviews hit, I only grew even more excited; on RottenTomatoes, Looper’s aggregate review score is 94%, which as you can probably tell, represents a pretty resounding critical success.
So I waited patiently and tried to push Looper out of my mind, but I just couldn’t seem to. I watched the trailer, re-watched it again, and again, I commented on YouTube, I tweeted about it; in short, I got massively involved in the hype. One thing I always worry about when entering into hype of any sort is that it’ll create an unrealistic expectation in my mind. That I’ll expect whatever the hype is admonishing to be so perfect that what I get will actually disappoint, regardless of the standard.
So, with how excited I’d allowed myself to get for Looper, I was, deep down, worried that I was manufacturing an impossible standard, that it couldn’t possibly live up to the bar that had been set by a hundred gleaming reviews.
I caught Looper two nights ago, and I can tell you, my expectations weren’t high enough. Looper blew my mind, it blew it to such a degree that I’ll probably go again before the theatre run is over. I’d even go so far as to say that Looper was, for me at least, the best film of 2012 so far. Why? Well, you’ll just have to read on won’t you? And don’t worry if you haven’t seen it yet, I’ve been careful to steer clear of spoilers.
So without any more introductory chatter, let’s get right into the argument shall we?
We are currently seeking Film contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a Film contributor, click here.
You Might Also Like...
- 5 Movie Bad-Guys With Completely Justifiable Motives
- Win: Looper Blu-ray, We Have 2 Copies To Give Away
- 8 Important Lessons From The Films of 2012
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools