Here comes the fourth article in my tribute to Halloween – each article featuring movies from a different horror sub-genre. For this article we’re taking a look at a rather creepy movie monster…the disembodied hand.
I’m sure the first thing that comes to mind when people hear “disembodied hand” is The Addams Family with the classic horror/comedy of Thing. Or maybe they think “Hey, what happened to my hand!!”. Anyway, I always wanted to see the tunnels by which Thing moved through the Addams mansion. Did they consist of smooth, round tubes or perhaps they were just a series of long, wooden boxes with miniature ladders that led upstairs when needed. Maybe Thing had a pneumatic system that sucked him through plastic tubes from location to location? I guess I’ll never solve that brainteaser.
Of course, the unsolvable mystery of Thing’s transportation routes won’t stop us from looking at a batch of films starring his cousins (and in some cases Thing himself), now will it? However, as you might expect, most hands running around without a body have a bit of an attitude problem – they’re rarely as nice or as helpful as Thing. So with that fact in mind, here are 10 movies, in no particular order, containing mean and evil disembodied hands.
- The Child’s Eye (2010)
- Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994)
- Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)
- Leprechaun (1993)
- …and a plethora of movies where limbs or hands from serial killers are attached to an innocent patient including The Hands of Orlac (1924), Mad Love (1935), Hands of a Stranger (1962), and Body Parts (1991)
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools