Back in February last year, the then 42 year old character actor Neal McDonough made a very public plea to be considered as a potential Steve Rogers in Marvel’s Captain America tentpole, claiming that if you put ‘Lee Marvin and Captain America together… you get me‘.
If you scroll back through our archives, we were actually very much in favour of McDonough. It’s not impossible to imagine a version of Captain America that would find McDonough in the lead, a movie focused on a Rogers who was in his 40′s, just like Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man. In fact, maybe some would suggest that should have been the way they went and for those who have seen Band of Brothers – McDonough feels legit as a World War II soldier.
Alas, a 42 year old character actor was always going to find it difficult to win such a huge movie and Chris Evans was eventually cast (did you see those concept pics?) but McDounough has found himself in the movie after all.
Deadline say he will play Dum Dum Dugan, a member of S.H.I.E.L.D – so presumablyit’s a multi-contract deal and he could also appear in The Avengers. Dugan is one of the more experienced members of Nick Fury‘s (Samuel L. Jackson) team, known for his marksmanship with rifles and for his impressive physique and his trademark bowler hat.
Filming begins in the U.K. next month on Joe Johnston’s (The Wolf Man, The Rocketeer) The First Avenger: Captain America for a release on July 22nd, 2011.
Samuel L. Jackson (as Nick Fury) and Neal McDonough (as Dum Dum Dugan) play members of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools