Like a young, national anthem singing child sitting in the dust of a destroyed football stadium; the audiences for The Dark Knight Rises are still comprehending what on Earth happened in the near three hour destruction of Gotham.
Yet as the dust settles and more and more come forward to talk about how Christopher Nolan’s film trilogy ended; more and more are expressing dissatisfaction with its conclusion.
These issues mainly surround Bruce Wayne still breathing by the end, him running off with Selina Kyle, a new Batman being teased and and my simple response is; why so serious?
The Dark Knight Rises has quite a few problems, but its ending is not one of them; the ending is in fact a perfect completion of Nolan’s trilogy and the ambition it set out with in Begins; and here’s why….
As aforementioned, one of the issues people had with this ending is the fact that Bruce Wayne lived. Whether it is the impracticality of him out-jumping a nuclear blast zone or the fact his characterisation as Gotham’s great protector meant he should have died; people seemed to have not liked the fact that Bruce Wayne lived at the end of The Dark Knight Rises.
Though it may be more practical in terms of how he escapes Gotham (like, seriously, who could out jump a nuclear blast?), it’s never a necessity for him to die and the fact he lives is the perfect conclusion to the emotional journey Bruce Wayne undergoes. He begins with wanting to stand up for the ideals his parents did whilst inspiring people to believe in hope and good, which he does at the films conclusion.
As for Wayne leaving Gotham, it’s quite obviously predetermined by an emotional confrontation with Alfred early on, but the point remains Alfred is correct; Bruce didn’t stay in Gotham because he wanted to be there. He stayed because he had a legacy to install and when that happened and Gotham had a new protector he was right to leave the city that caused him so much pain.
Negative I may be, but I’m not morbid enough to wish death upon Gotham’s protector.
Click “next” below for part 2…
You Might Also Like...
- 9 Movie Franchises That Said F**k You To The Fans
- 8 Classic Trilogies That Almost Turned Out Completely Different
- 8 Movie Plot Holes That Could Have Been Solved With One Line Of Dialogue
- 8 Actresses Who Tricked You Into Thinking You Saw Them Nude
- 11 Irresistible Movie Moments That Wore Out Your Pause Button
- 100 Things Wrong With The Dark Knight Rises [Video]
- 10 Scenes You Won't Believe You Missed in 2012
- 10 Most Infuriating Movie Cliffhangers
- 10 Major Plot Holes You Probably Missed
- 10 Happy Movie Endings That Probably Had Horrific Consequences
- 12 Ruthless Movie Villains Who Were Defeated By Complete Fools