Gaming is a strange mistress; a double-edged sword if you will. It’s a storytelling medium, just like film, but unlike film, most video games require massive investments of both money and time. Money and time that some of us just don’t have to waste. But still we play. Why? Because we simply cannot help ourselves.
I’ve been gaming – a lot – since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, since the NES first hit shelves and was considered nothing short of a powerhouse gaming system. And I’ve never looked back. Over the years, many people have asked me “why do you still play so many games, you’re 20/21/22/23/24/25/26/nearly thirty”. My answer is always different and almost always a lie, not just to the questioner but to myself.
And the worst lie is the one we tell ourselves. I’ve been thinking back over my gaming career and I realised that gaming makes me lie to myself a lot (see, calling it ‘my gaming career’ is in and of itself a barefaced lie – I’ve never earned a single penny gaming and highly doubt I ever will). And I know for a fact that it’s not just me either. So then, naturally it seemed the next logical step in the though process was to write a piece on the very subject.
So, without further waffle, let’s dissect and discuss the 10 biggest lies gamers tell themselves (that I tell myself, some on a weekly basis). Be aware, the truth hurts, but I say what I say out of love. Honest…
We are currently seeking Gaming contributors on WhatCulture. To find out more about the perks of being a Gaming contributor, click here.
You Might Also Like...
- 10 Great Movies Too Depressing To Really Love
- 10 Idiotic Decisions Made By Characters In Man of Steel
- 10 Totally Inept Movie Criminals
- GTA V: 9 Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
- 10 Outrageous Sexy Moments Hidden In Video Games
- 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications
- 8 Crazy Video Game Fan Theories That Actually Improve Games
- 10 Things Today’s Gamers Wouldn’t Understand
- 100 Greatest Video Game Villains Of All Time
- 10 Most Insanely Difficult Video Games Ever Made
- 10 Things You Should Know About Dating A Gamer