In 1987, game designer Hironobo Sakaguchi was on the verge of quitting the industry and returning to university to pursue an alternative career. In search of last hurrah, he and his team at Square put all of their resources and efforts into the development of one final title – Sakaguchi’s swansong, his ‘Final Fantasy’.
The rest, as they say, is history.
Square’s series has now been a mainstay of the gaming industry for twenty-six years, with fourteen games and a countless array of remakes, spin-offs and sequels having combined to sell more than one hundred million units across the globe. A number of additional titles are in development and although recent releases haven’t garnered the same level of critical acclaim as their predecessors, they still remain leaps and bounds ahead of most other series on the market in terms of quality.
Throughout its now illustrious history, the series has featured its fair share of epic moments, captivating its audience with scenes that live long in the memory. Whether tearful, tragic, nostalgic, romantic, comedic or triumphant, the following list (put together over the space of ten months) showcases one hundred and fifty of the franchise’s finest hours, each of which is accompanied by a quote and recapped towards the end.
Let us begin, albeit with a spoiler alert for anybody unfamiliar with the stories of the games, which are explained in significant detail at times.
- 10 Outrageous Sexy Moments Hidden In Video Games
- GTA V: 12 Dirty Hidden Secrets And Easter Eggs You Probably Missed
- Xbox One vs PS4: Which Should You Buy?
- GTA V: 9 Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
- 10 Video Game Endings With Disturbing Implications
- 8 Crazy Video Game Fan Theories That Actually Improve Games
- 10 Things Today’s Gamers Wouldn’t Understand
- 100 Greatest Video Game Villains Of All Time
This article was first posted on October 12, 2013