In 1996 Steve Austin ditched the Ringmaster gimmick and became the alcohol fueled redneck known as Stone Cold Steve Austin. With the new gimmick came a new finishing maneuver. A seated three-quarter facelock jawbreaker known as the Stone Cold Stunner. Austin took this new attitude and new finisher and ran with it to new heights in the WWE.
The Stunner is a great finisher for the audience because there is little setup for it. Usually the sequence was a missed punch or clothesline by the opponent, kick to the gut by Austin, and boom, Stunner. But unlike most finishers, which have an established reaction to them, selling the Stunner is open to interpretation. Some people sell it perfectly, like Shawn Michaels, Triple H, or Kurt Angle. Others….not so much.
Here are the 10 People Who Couldn’t Take A Stone Cold Stunner.
10. Vince McMahon
Don’t get me wrong, Vince can take a Stunner now. But this is more about his first effort. When most people take the Stunner they try to get their knees to hit the same time Austin is landing on the ground in a seated position. It gives the move a more fluid look. The first time Vince took the move, his timing was a bit off and he led with his face. However, with the Austin/McMahon feud Vince would become a better victim of the Stunner, being on the receiving end of countless Stunners over the last 15 years.
Get all the latest WWE updates...Follow @WhatCultureWWE For The Latest Updates
- Write WWE Articles And Get Paid
- 10 Controversies Of The WWE Network
- WWE WrestleMania 30: 10 Reasons The Undertaker Streak’s Must End
- WWE: 6 Divas That Must Return In 2014
- WWE: 10 Biggest Lies In Pro Wrestling
- WWE: 10 Most Inappropriate Storylines Ever
- WWE: 10 Sickening In-Ring Injuries You Won’t Believe Stars Wrestled Through
- WWE: 10 Wrestlers With Salaries You Won’t Believe
This article was first posted on March 1, 2013