William Regal is contracted to AEW for longer than reported over the weekend, potentially closing the door on him returning to WWE in the near future.
The Wrestling Observer's Dave Meltzer previously reported that WWE had discussed the possibility of bringing Regal, who was released by the previous regime in January, back to the promotion at some stage. Additionally, Meltzer claimed to have heard that Regal was only signed to a one-year AEW deal upon debuting for Tony Khan's promotion this March.
The situation was described as "not a non-story", though it may just have become one.
In a correction, Meltzer tweets that going by Regal's own words after signing with AEW, the Englishman's contract was for three years:-
A correction from last night's show regarding Regal's deal. Based on what he said when he signed, his deal signed last spring was for three years.Advertisement— Dave Meltzer (@davemeltzerWON) November 28, 2022
This would mean Regal is contractually bound to AEW until spring 2025. Should WWE wish to bring him back to the company prior to this, William would need to secure a release from Khan's promotion.
Last week's Dynamite was interpreted by some as a write-off for the Blackpool Combat Club doyen, who betrayed Jon Moxley at Full Gear 2022. Told to "run away and never come back" by Moxley in an in-ring segment, Regal effectively did just that, leaving ringside at Mox's command.