Daniel Cormier will serve as the special guest referee for Matt Riddle and Seth Rollins' Fight Pit battle at WWE Extreme Rules next weekend.
"I will be fair. I'll be honest. I'll be impartial. And I will not take anyone's s**t. I will be there for a reason. The law has been called in, and I will enforce it with every part of myself to the fullest extent."
A former UFC Heavyweight Champion and UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, Cormier is one of the finest fighters of his generation. Likewise, he is a long-time wrestling fan who has been rumoured to do something with WWE for several years now.
Interestingly, the 43-year-old does have some semblance of 'previous' with Seth Rollins, for Cormier was in attendance at WrestleMania 31 when Seth famously cashed-in his Money in the Bank briefcase to win his first WWE Championship.
Whether this is merely a one-shot deal or leads to further Cormier appearances in WWE down the line, that remains to be seen. Nowadays a commentator in the UFC, if the Louisiana native ends up eventually having a match or two at some point, he'll be following in the footsteps of the likes of Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Brock Lesnar, Matt Riddle and Ronda Rousey in having fought in both a UFC cage and the squared circle.
As it stands, the card for Extreme Rules reads as follows:
- SmackDown Women's Champion Liv Morgan vs. Ronda Rousey in an Extreme Rules match
- Raw Women's Champion Bianca Belair vs. Bayley in a Ladder match
- Seth Rollins vs. Matt Riddle in a Fight Pit with Daniel Cormier as special guest referee
- Karrion Kross vs. Drew McIntyre in a Strap match
- Edge vs. Finn Balor in an I Quit match
- Brawling Brutes vs. Imperium in a Good Old Fashioned Donnybrook
Emanating from Philadelphia's Wells Fargo Center, WWE Extreme Rules takes place next Saturday.