Fast-food restaurant chain KFC have been ordered to pay $8.3 million (£5.1 million) to an Australian family whose daughter was poisoned by a chicken meal. Monika Samaan and her family were left feeling severely ill after sharing the "Twister" wrap meal purchased at a KFC restaurant near Syndey in 2005. Monika was later diagnosed with salmonella poisoning. After being in a coma for six months she was left wheelchair-bound and lost the ability to speak. The rest of the family who ate the meal all feel ill and suffered from diarrhea and vomiting but all recovered. At the Supreme Court of New South Wales last week a Judge ordered that KFC must pay the damages for failing in its duty of care to the customer. The family's lawyer had told the court that during the busy hours at KFC, the restaurant chain would reuse Chicken that had been left on the floor. KFC, which is owned by Yum! Brands have said they will appeal the decision and that they were "deeply disappointed" by the ruling, citing a lack of evidence that their Twister wrap caused Monika's disability.
"We feel deeply for Monika and the Samaan family. However, we also have a responsibility to defend KFC's reputation as a provider of safe, high-quality food," a company manager said.
George Vlahakis, the family's lawyer, said they were relieved that they got the ruling they wanted;
"Monika's severe brain damage and severe disability has already exhausted the very limited resources of the family," "Monika is now a big girl and they are finding it increasingly difficult to lift her and to look after her basic needs as well as look after Monika's younger siblings. "The compensation ordered is very much needed. KFC have to date been determined that Monika does not receive a cent."
What Culture readers... what is your opinion of the ruling? Will the court case put you off from purchasing the Twister meal or visiting KFC in general in the future?